This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
The results of primary external fixation and secondary intramedullary nailing of 21 tibial fractures are presented. It is shown that if secondary nailing is delayed until after granulation of the pin sites the technique is associated with a low infection rate. The union time for tibial fractures compares well with that of external fixation, although in closed and Gustilo type I open fractures primary intramedullary nailing gives superior results.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Injury
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Locked intramedullary nailing for displaced tibial shaft fractures.J. Bone Joint Surg. 1990; 72B: 805
- External fixation of the tibia: basic concepts and prospective evaluation.J. Bone Joint Surg. 1986; 68B: 246
- External fixation and delayed intramedullary nailing of open fractures of the tibial shaft. A sequential protocol.J. Bone Joint Surg. 1990; 72A: 729
- The management of Type III open tibial fractures.Injury. 1984; 16: 157
- The role of intramedullary fixation in open fractures.Clin. Orthop. 1986; 212: 26
- Hughes external fixator in treatment of tibial fractures.J. R. Soc. Med. 1985; 78: 830
- Closed intramedullary tibial nailing: its use in closed and Type I open fractures.J. Bone Joint Surg. 1990; 72B: 605
- External fixation for Type III open tibial fractures.J. Bone Joint Surg. 1990; 72B: 801
- Reamed intramedullary nailing. Its use in Type II and Type III open tibial fractures.J. Bone Joint Surg. 1991; 73B: 959
- Atlas of Closed Nailing of the Tibia and Femur. Martin Dunitz, London1991
- The treatment of fractures with a dynamic axial fixator.J. Bone Joint Surg. 1984; 66B: 538
- External fixation of fractures of the tibia: clinical experience of a new device.Injury. 1988; 19: 73
- Prevention of infection in the treatment of one thousand and twenty-five open fractures of long bones.J. Bone Joint Surg. 1976; 58A: 453
- Problems in the management of Type III (severe) open fractures: a new classification of Type III open fractures.J. Trauma. 1984; 24: 742
- Classification of Type III (severe) open fractures related to treatment and results.Orthopaedics. 1987; 10: 1781
- Delayed intramedullary nailing after failed external fixation of the tibia.Clin. Orthop. 1990; 253: 251
- Infection after intramedullary nailing of severe open tibial fractures initially treated with external fixation.J. Bone Joint Surg. 1989; 71A: 835
- Treatment of open tibial shaft fractures. External fixation and secondary intramedullary nailing.J. Bone Joint Surg. 1988; 70A: 900
- Open fractures of the tibia treated by the Hoffmann external fixator.Clin. Orthop. 1983; 180: 125
Accepted: December 9, 1991
© 1992 Published by Elsevier Inc.