This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Intracast pressures were recorded in conventional plaster-of-Paris below-elbow casts and compared with a new prefabricated brace for the functional treatment of Colles' fractures. Interface pressures were consistently higher in the brace than in the conventional plaster cast throughout the treatment period, and demonstrated more specific loading to the fracture site.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Injury
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Comminuted fractures of the distal end of the radius.Surg. Gynecol. Obstet. 1944; 78: 434
- Colles' fracture: a study of two thousand cases from the New York State Workmen's Compensation Board.J. Bone Joint Surg. 1953; 35A: 248
- Early results after Colles' fracture — functional bracing in supination vs. dorsal plaster immobilisation.Arch. Orthop. Trauma Surg. 1984; 103: 251
- Colles' fracture — a study of end results.JAMA. 1950; 143: 963
- The Closed Treatment of Common Fractures. E&S Livingstone, Edinburgh, London1968: 128 3rd Ed.
- Comminuted fractures of the distal end of the radius treated by skeletal fixation in plaster cast. An end result of thirty three cases.J. Bone Joint Surg. 1966; 48A: 931
- Functional treatment of Colles' fracture.Acta Orthop. Scand. Suppl. 1987; 58: 223
- The value of early mobilisation in the treatment of Colles' fracture.J. Bone Joint Surg. 1987; 69B: 463
- Secondary displacement of reduced distal radius fractures.Acta Orthop. Scand. 1974; 45: 76
- Brace treatment of Colles' fracture.Acta Orthop. Scand. 1989; 60: 63
- Evaluation of healed Colles' fractures.J. Bone Joint Surg. 1951; 33A: 895
- Bracing or plaster for Colles' fracture? — a randomised prospective controlled trial.J. Bone Joint Surg. 1983; 65B: 221
- Treatment and prognosis of Colles' fracture.Lancet 1963. 1963; 7280: 511
- Pins and plaster treatment of comminuted fractures of the distal end of the radius.J. Bone Joint Surg. 1975; 57A: 304
- External fixation or plaster for severely displaced comminuted Colles' fractures: A prospective study of anatomical and functional results.J. Bone Joint Surg. 1989; 71B: 68
- External fixation of Colles' fractures: an anatomical study.J. Bone Joint Surg. 1987; 69B: 207
- External fixation and recovery of function following fractures of the distal radius in young adults.Injury. 1988; 19: 235
- Biomechanical highlights — the personal miscellany of a decade.J. Biomed. Eng. 1988; 10: 477
- Comminuted displaced Colles' fractures: Treatment with intramedullary methylmethacrylate stabilisation.Acta Orthop. Scand. 1983; 54: 307
- Colles' fracture: Operative treatment, indications and results.Acta Orthop. Scand. 1968; 39: 33
- Colles' fracture: Does the anatomical result affect the final function?.J. Bone Joint Surg. 1988; 70B: 649
- Colles' fracture — a prospective study of treatment.J. Bone Joint Surg. 1973; 55B: 540
- An electropneumatic sensor for the direct measurement of spot pressure between a soft surface in contact with a rigid conforming surface.in: Proc. ACEMB. 11. 1974: 90
- Functional bracing of Colles' fractures: a prospective study of immobilisation in supination vs. pronation.Clin. Orthop. 1980; 146: 175
- Colles' Fractures: functional bracing in supination.J. Bone Joint Surg. 1975; 57A: 311
- Long-term follow up of Colles' fracture.J. Bone Joint Surg. 1965; 47B: 80
- Functional cast-bracing for Colles' fractures — a comparison between cast-bracing and conventional plaster casts.J. Bone Joint Surg. 1984; 66B: 749
- Colles' fracture — how should its displacement be measured and how should it be immobilised?.J. Bone Joint Surg. 1981; 63A: 1285
- Interface pressures in below elbow casts.Clin. Biomech. 1991; 6: 25
- Skin-orthosis interface pressure transducers: a review.Care-Sci. Pract. 1989; 7: 100
Accepted: March 28, 1991
© 1991 Published by Elsevier Inc.