This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
This prospective study investigated the outcome for non-operative management of parotid duct injuries in 19 patients with injury confirmed by the methylene blue method. Nine (47 per cent) healed without complications. Short-term salivary fistulas complicated seven (36.8 per cent) wounds and a sialocele occurred in four (21.1 per cent). All complications resolved without the need for operative intervention. Acute surgical repair of damaged ducts can no longer be recommended, since conservative management of parotid duct trauma is both safe and effective; simple surgical procedures exist for the management of the rare long-term disorders.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Injury
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Parotid fistulas: a review.Br. J. Surg. 1982; 69: 641
- Parotid gland atrophy.Arch. Surg. 1962; 85: 1042
- Management of parotid sialoceles: a simple surgical technique.Br. J. Surg. 1987; 74: 309
- The mouth, tongue, jaws and salivary glands.in: 13th Ed. Textbook of Surgery: The Biological Basis of Modern Surgical Practice. W. B. Saunders Company, Philadelphia1986: 1357
- Conservative management of posttraumatic parotid fistulae and sialoceles: a prospective study.Br. J. Surg. 1985; 72: 42
- Laceration of the parotid duct; further experiences.Ann. Surg. 1950; 131: 743
- Parotid duct transection associated with facial trauma: Experience with 10 cases.Br. J. Plast. Surg. 1983; 36: 81
- Parotid duct injuries.Oral Surg. 1981; 52: 364
- Trauma to the parotid region.J. Laryngol. Otol. 1987; 101: 475
Accepted: February 22, 1991
© 1991 Published by Elsevier Inc.