This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Diagnostic ultrasound was used in 103 patients with a clinically suspected fracture of the scaphoid bone in order to achieve an early diagnosis. There were 48 women and 55 men aged 10–75 years (mean 31.4 years) tested with ultrasound. Of the patients, 72 were tested within 3 days after injury the remainder between 4 and 42 days.
Fracture was confirmed radiologically in 27. We found that the ultrasound test, applied with a frequency of 1 MHz and intensity of 0.5 W/cm2 and2.0 W/cm2 for 30s, had a sensitivity of 37 per cent and a specificity of 61 per cent. We thus conclude that ultrasound is not suitable for early diagnosis of scaphoid fracture.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Injury
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Diagnosticering af scaphoideum frakturer.Ugeskr. Laeger. 1987; 49: 1327
- Ultrasonic assessment of fractures and its use in the diagnosis of the suspected scaphoid fracture.Injury. 1982; 14: 180
- Helingstid for os scaphoideum manus fraktur.Ugeskr. Laeger. 1988; 150: 538
- Biological effects of therapeutic ultrasound.Reumatol. Rehab. 1973; 12: 209
- Liquid crystal thermography in the diagnosis of scaphoid fractures.Arch. Emerg. Med. 1987; 4: 117
- Scanning and radiology of the carpal scaphoid bone.Acta Orthop. Scand. 1979; 50: 663
- The fractured carpal scaphoid.J. Bone Joint Surg. 1981; 63B: 225
- Radiography of the carpal scaphoid.Acta Radiol. Diag. 1986; 27: 97
- Fractures of the carpal navicular.J. Bone Joint Surg. 1963; 45A: 82
- Regional scintimetry in schaphoid fractures.Acta Orthop. Scand. 1983; 54: 380
- Ultrasound in the diagnosis of scaphoid fractures.J. Hand Surg. 1987; 12: 43
- Fractures of the scaphoid bone.Arch. Orthop. Trauma Surg. 1984; 103: 96
Accepted: December 5, 1990
© 1991 Published by Elsevier Inc.