This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
A series of 29 Service personnel disabled by chronic lateral instability of the ankle, to the extent that they were unfit for full duties, were treated by the operation of extensor digitorum brevis (EDB) transfer. All but one were returned to full service.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Injury
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- J. Bone Joint Surg. 1954; 36A: 825
- Evans' procedure in the treatment of chronic instability of the ankle.Injury. 1988; 19: 70
- Lateral instability of the ankle treated by the Evans' procedure. A long term clinical and radiological follow up.J. Bone Joint Surg. 1988; 70B: 476
- Recurrent instability of the ankle — a method of surgical treatment.in: Proc. R. Soc. Med.46. 1953: 343
- Instability of the foot after injuries to the lateral ligament of the ankle.J. Bone Joint Surg. 1965; 47B: 669
- Tarsal hypermobility after ankle fusion — fact or fiction?.J. Bone Joint Surg. 1979; 61B: 470
- Ankle sprains in young athletes.Clin. Orthop. 1974; 101: 202
- Synovitis in chronically unstable ankles.Acta Orthop. Scand. 1989; 60: 340
- Lateral lesions in sprained ankles.in: Lund University. Thesis. Ex Libris C. L. Cotton, 1976
- Acute sports injuries in Oslo — a one year study.Br. J. Sports Med. 1984; 18: 181
- Where does Sherington's ‘Muscular Sense’ Originate? Muscles, Joints, Corollary Discharges?.Ann. Rev. Neurosci. 1982; 5: 189
- Extensor digitorum brevis transfer in chronic unstable ankles.J. R. Coll. Surg. Edinb. 1983; 28: 250
- Reconstruction of the anterior talofibular ligament for the treatment of the unstable ankle.J. Bone Joint Surg. 1979; 61B: 352
- The Cibex 11 evaluation of lateral ligamentous reconstruction.Am. J. Sports Med. 1984; 12: 52
- The long term results of Watson-Jones tenodesis.J. Bone Joint Surg. 1984; 66B: 371
- Fractures and Joint Injuries. Vol. 2. E. & S. Livingstone, Edinburgh1955: 827 4th Ed.
- Plication of the anterolateral capsule of the ankle with extensor digitorum brevis transfer for chronic lateral ligament instability.Injury. 1988; 19: 65
- Long term results of surgical reconstruction for chronic lateral instability of the ankle: Comparison of Watson-Jones and Evans' techniques.J. Trauma. 1988; 28: 1330
Accepted: June 16, 1990
© 1991 Published by Elsevier Inc.