This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
In a prospective study from January 1985 to December 1987, 60 consecutive patients with isolated fractures of the shaft of the ulna were divided into two groups. In group I, 28 patients were treated with plaster-of-Paris cast splintage, while in group II, 32 patients were given an elastic crêpe bandage support and were mobilized early. Average time to union in group I was 10.8 weeks while in group II it was 7.8 weeks. Two fractures in group I did not unite, whereas there was no case of non-union in group II. Isolated fractures of the ulna can be treated successfully with minimal support and early mobilization.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Injury
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Isolated fractures of the ulnar shaft in the adult.Surg. Clin. North Am. 1972; 52: 155
- Compression plate fixation in acute diaphyseal fractures of radius and ulna.J. Bone Joint Surg. 1975; 57A: 287
- Non-union of the isolated fractures of ulnar shaft in adults.Injury. 1981; 12: 371
- Springer-Verlag, Edinburgh, London, New York1976 Watson-Jones Fracture and Joint Injuries.
- Ulnar shaft fracture needs no treatment.Acta Orthop. Scand. 1989; 60: 263
- Causes and treatment of non-union in fractures of the radius and ulna.J. Bone Joint Surg. 1962; 44B: 614
- Early mobilization of isolated ulnar shaft fractures.Acta Orthop. Scand. 1989; 60: 261
- Fractures of forearm treated by rigid fixation.J. Bone Joint Surg. 1961; 43B: 680
- Isolated fractures of the shaft of the ulna.Injury. 1974; 6: 180
- A Practical Guide to the Care of the Injured. Livingstone, Edinburgh1967: 256
- The biology of fracture healing.J. Bone Joint Surg. 1978; 60B: 150
- The isolated fracture of the ulnar shaft — treatment without immobilization.J. Bone Joint Surg. 1983; 65A: 339
- Treatment of ulnar fractures by functional bracing.J. Bone Joint Surg. 1976; 58A: 1104
- Closed Functional Treatment of Fractures. Springer-Verlag, Berlin, Heidelberg, New-York1981: 460
- Treatment of isolated ulnar fractures by prefabricated functional fracture brace.Clin. Orthop. 1984; 219: 194
Accepted: August 24, 1990
© 1991 Published by Elsevier Inc.