This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Based on cadaveric experiments, peroperative observations and clinical study, an exact mechanism is described by which full pronation of the forearm prevents cubitus varus deformity in supracondylar fractures of the humerus. The significance of the position of the upper limb in relation to the chest is described, and it has been demonstrated that even the posterolaterally displaced supracondylar fractures are better reduced and maintained in pronation.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Injury
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Experimental hyperextension supracondylar fractures in monkeys.Clin. Orthop. 1982; 171: 309
- Supracondylar fractures in children.Am. J. Surg. 1943; 59: 161
- Supracondylar fractures of the humerus. The role of dynamic factors in prevention of deformity.J. Bone Joint Surg. 1977; 59A: 589
- Fractures in Children. Williams and Wilkins, Baltimore1955: 26
- Technik der Knockenbruch behandlung.(As Quoted by D'Ambrosia R. D. (1972):)in: Supracondylar fractures of the humerus; prevention of cubitus varus. J. Bone Joint Surg.59A. 1930: 60
- Fractures and dislocations in children.in: 7th Edition. Campbell's Operative Orthopaedics. Vol. III. C.V. Mosby Co.,, St Louis, Washington DC, Toronto1987: 1874
- The Closed Treatment of Common Fractures. Churchill Livingstone, London and Edinburgh1972: 105 3rd Edition.
- Observations on supracondylar fractures of humerus — Its pathomechanism and management.Indian J. Orthop. 1979; 13: 152
- Supracondylar fractures of the humerus; prevention of cubitus varus.J. Bone Joint Surg. 1972; 54A: 60
- Transcondylar fractures of humerus in childhood.J. Bone Joint Surg. 1939; 21: 59
- Treatment of displaced supracondylar fracture of the humerus in children in full extension and supination.J. Bone Joint Surg. 1965; 47B: 273
- Varus deformity of the elbow following supracondylar fractures of the humerus in children.Lancet. 1959; 2: 439
- Supracondylar fractures of humerus in children; end result study of open reduction.J. Bone Joint Surg. 1964; 46A: 1245
- Cubitus varus deformity following supracondylar fractures of the humerus in children.J. Paediatr. Orthop. 1982; 2: 539
- Supracondylar fracture of the humerus in children.J. Bone Joint Surg. 1965; 37B: 241
- Fractures of the lower end of the humerus in children — Treatment and end results.Acta Chir. Scand. 1943; 89: 1
- Deformity following supracondylar fractures of the humerus.J. Bone Joint Surg. 1960; 42A: 235
- Paediatric Orthopaedics. Vol. II. W. B. Saunders Company, Philadelphia1972: 1566
- Williams P.L. Warwick R. Gray's Anatomy. 36th Edition. Churchill Livingstone, Edinburgh, London, Melbourne, New York1980: 465
- 36th Edition. Watson-Jones Fractures and Joint Injuries. Vol. 2. Churchill Livingstone, Edinburgh, London, Melbourne, New York1982: 591
Accepted: August 24, 1990
© 1991 Published by Elsevier Inc.