This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Cases of head injury are reviewed in which riders wearing jockey skull caps have suffered impacts to the front, back or side of their helmets. The design and constructional materials of such helmets are assessed. Impact tests that simulate the accidents confirm the low energy absorption potential of some helmets for lateral impacts. Most pedal or motorcycle helmet designs afford better lateral impact protection.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Injury
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Fact Sheet. Horse riding accidents to children! CAPT, London1986
- Brain damage in Jockeys.Lancet. 1976; i: 1241.2
- Helmet effectiveness in preventing motorcycle driver and passenger fatalities.in: Amer. Assoc. Auto. Med. 31st Ann. Proc.1987: 353
- Brain damage in National Hunt Jockeys.Lancet. 1976; i: 981
- Effect of polystyrene foam density on motorcycle helmet shock absorption.in: Plast Rubber Proc. Applic.5. 1985: 101
- Riding and other equestrian injuries.Br. J. Sports Med. 1987; 21: 22
- Horse riding and head injury: admissions to a regional head injury unit.Br. J. Neurosurg. 1987; 1: 131
- The protective capability of bicycle helmets.Br. J. Sports Med. 1989; (Submitted to)
- The biomechanics of brain injury.in: Mills N.J. Pedder J.B. Head Protection. Birmingham University, 1982
- Horse riding is dangerous for your health.in: Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Emergency Medicine, Brisbane, 1988 Australasian College for Emergency Medicine, 1988: 191
- Equestrian Injuries: a comparison of professional and amateur injuries in Berkshire.Br. J. Sports Med. 1987; 21: 25
Accepted: March 3, 1989
© 1989 Published by Elsevier Inc.