This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
One hundred and thirty-seven patients attending hospital following road traffic accidents were contacted regarding pain in the neck between 1 and 2 years later. Eighty-five (62 per cent) stated that they had suffered pain in the neck at some time following their accident compared with 42 (30.6 per cent) who were noted to have pain in the neck when examined soon after the accident. Thirty-one patients (22.6 per cent) still felt occasional pain 1 year after the accident and 5 had continuous pain at 1 year. Pain in the neck occurred irrespective of the direction of impact but was disproportionately common in rear impact accidents. Patients wearing seat belts experienced pain more frequently than unbelted patients.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Injury
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Survey of one hundred cases of whiplash injury after settlement of litigation.JAMA. 1956; 162: 865
- Soft tissue injuries of the neck.Clin. Orthop. 1975; 109: 42
- Cervical spine injuries; epidemiological investigation, medical and social consequences.in: Proceedings of the 6th International IRCOBI Conference on Biomechanics of Impacts, Bron, France1981: 49
- Neck injury to car occupants using seat belts.in: 29th Ann. Proc. Am. Assoc. Auto. Med.1985
- Whiplash injuries of the neck.Am. Assoc. Auto. Med. 1965;
- The prognosis of neck injuries resulting from rear-end vehicle accidents.J. Bone Joint Surg. 1983; 65: 608
- Injuries to car occupants—some aspects of the interior design of cars.Acta Oto-Laryngol. 1984; 395: 105
- The Medical Effects of Seat-belt Legislation in the United Kingdom. HMSO, London1985
- Neck injury to women in auto accidents.JAMA. 1968; 206: 2689
- Soft Tissue Injuries of the Neck.Society of Automotive Engineers, Warrendale Paper No. 790135. 1975;
- The enigma of whiplash injuries.in: Proc. 13th Conf. Am. Assoc. Auto. Med.1969: 83
- Protection against rear-end accidents.in: Proceedings of the 7th International IRCOBI Conference on Biomechanics of Impacts, Bron, France1982: 17
- Neck injury to women in auto accidents.JAMA. 1969; 207: 2284
Accepted: April 21, 1986
© 1987 Published by Elsevier Inc.