This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
The ‘Pipkin’ fracture-dislocation of the hip is an injury that is easily missed and is associated with serious sequelae.
Eighty posterior dislocations of the hip were studied; there were nine ‘Pipkin’ injuries, seven of which are reported. The aetiology and management is discussed and the literature is reviewed. Guidelines for management are suggested.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Injury
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- An Inquiry into the Difficulties Encountered in the Reduction of Dislocations of the Hip. Doran, Philadelphia1896
- Description of a dislocation of the head of the femur, complicated with its fracture; with remarks.Med. Chir. Trans. 1896; 52: 133
- Pipkin Type 2 fractures of the femoral head.J. Bone Joint Surg. 1981; 63A: 1292
- Successful conservative treatment of a fracture dislocation of the femoral head.J. Bone Joint Surg. 1979; 61A: 1244
- Traumatic dislocations of the hip.Clin. Orthop. 1973; 92: 116
- Treatment of unreduced posterior dislocations of the hip.J. Bone Joint Surg. 1979; 61A: 3
- Fractures of the acetabulum: classification and surgical approaches for open reduction preliminary report.J. Bone Joint Surg. 1964; 46A: 1615
- Posterior fracture dislocation of the femoral head with retained medial head fragment.J. Trauma. 1971; 11: 97
- Treatment of grade VI fracture dislocation of the hip.J. Bone Joint Surg. 1957; 39A: 1027
- Femoral head fractures associated with posterior hip dislocations.Clin. Orthop. 1980; 147: 121
- Management of fractures of the head of the femur complicated by dislocation of the hip.Orthop. Clin. North Am. 1974; 5: 793
- Traumatic dislocation of the hip.J. Bone Joint Surg. 1951; 33A: 746
- Radiological aspects of posterior dislocation of the hip.Clin. Radiol. 1978; 29: 431
Accepted: December 1, 1986
© 1987 Published by Elsevier Inc.