This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Union occurred unusually rapidly in 13 fractures of long bones in 11 patients who had sustained severe head injuries. Possible metabolic mechanisms for this are discussed and it is suggested that respiratory alkalosis associated with severe head injury or its treatment affects the rate of deposition of callus by modifying the pH at the fracture site. Fractures in patients with severe head injuries should be restored to an acceptable position early in order to avoid malunion.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Injury
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Apley's System of Orthopaedics and Fractures. Butterworths, London1982 6th Ed.
- Results of surgical treatment of extra osseous ossifications in spinal cord injuries.in: Proceedings of the 6th Annual Clinical Paraplegia Conference. V.A. Hospital, Richmond, Virginia1957: 22 (12–17 October)
- L'osteogenese neurogene.Rev. Chir. Orthop. 1963; 49: 95
- Precipitation of calcium phosphates from solution at near physiological concentration.Arch. Biochem. 1961; 93: 157
- Callus formation in severe brain injuries.Bull. Hosp. Joint Dis. 1964; 25: 170
- Extremity fractures of patients with spinal injuries.Am. J. Surg. 1962; 103: 732
- The relationship between plasma catecholamines and severity of injury in man.J. Trauma. 1984; 24: 99
- Management of long bone fractures in paraplegic patients.J. Bone Joint Surg. 1963; 45A: 299
- Forearm fractures in the head-injured adult.Clin. Orthop. 1983; 176: 190
- Fractures and dislocations about the elbow in the head injured adult.Clin. Orthop. 1982; 168: 38
- Orthopaedic management of brain injured adults.Clin. Orthop. 1978; 131 (Part 2): 111
- Fractures of the tibial diaphysis in adults with head injuries.Clin. Orthop. 1980; 150: 198
- Femoral fractures in head-injured adults.Clin. Orthop. 1982; 166: 219
- Skelet und Mineralstoffwechsel.in: Siegenthaler W. Klinische Pathophysiologie. Thieme, Stuttgart1970: 867
- Callus formation after acute brain damage.Isr. J. Med. Sci. 1970; 6: 163
- Zur Atiologie und Pathogenese der Knochenneubildungen bei Hirnverletzten und Paraplegikern. I. Das lokale Milieu-untersuchungen im Frakturhamatom.Unfallheilukunde. 1979; 82: 252
- Zur Atiologie und Pathogenese der Knochenneubildungen bei Hirnverletzten und Paraplegikern. Vorbetrachtungen zum heutigen Wissensstand.Unfallheilkunde. 1978; 81: 577
- An Introduction to Neurosurgery. Heinemann Medical, London1983: 96 4th ed.
- Human growth hormone in bone regeneration of non healing fractures.Calcif. Tissue Res. 1977; 2 (Suppl.): 521
- Fracture healing and mast cells III. Action of combined growth hormone and thyrotropin.Acta Orthop. Scand. 1967; 38: 129
- The effect of 1 alpha hydroxycholecalciferol on healing in experimental fracture in adult rats.Acta Orthop. Scand. 1978; 49: 485
- Nuclear magnetic resonance studies of abnormal muscle.in: D Phil Thesis. University of Oxford, 1983
- Nuclear magnetic resonance studies of fracture healing.Clin. Orthop. 1985; 198: 297
- Roentgen characteristics of reparative osteogenesis in long bones under conditions of disturbed innervation.in: Orthopaedics. Kiev. Int. Research, 1967: 153
- The influence of the nervous system upon the growth of bones.J. Bone Joint Surg. 1961; 43B: 121
- Fractures in poliomyelitis in children.J. bone Joint Surg. 1966; 48A: 1048
- Fractures in adults. Vols. 1 and 2. Lippincott, Philadelphia1984 2nd ed.
- Fracture healing.in: Bone. 2. Armour Pharmaceutical Co. Ltd, Liphook, Hants1985: 37
- Changes in the hydrogen ion concentration of healing fractures.in: Proc. Soc. Exp. Biol. Med. (NY). 61. 1946: 151
- Assessment of coma and impaired consciousness.Lancet. 1974; i: 81
Young A. B. (1986) Personal communication.
Accepted: November 24, 1986
© 1987 Published by Elsevier Inc.