This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Skiing is one of the fastest growing sports in the United Kingdom. A prospective study of 119 patients who sustained injuries while skiing on the Edinburgh artificial ski slope was performed. The ratio of injury of the arm to that of the leg was 4.2:1, which is the reverse of that found with snow skiing. In particular, thumb injuries accounted for 32 per cent of all injuries. Attention is drawn to the high incidence of damage to the ulnar collateral ligament of the metacarpophalangeal joint of the thumb, which is related to the construction of the ‘snow slope’ matting. The pattern of injury is described and the mechanisms of injury discussed.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Injury
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Upper extremity injuries in skiing.Am. J. Sports Med. 1981; 9: 378
- Artificial ski slope injuries.J. R. Coll. Surg. Edinb. 1969; 14: 340
- Skiing lacerations.JAMA. 1980; 230: 1423
- Ski injuries.J. Trauma. 1977; 17: 802
- Ski fractures above or below the boot top.Can. J. Surg. 1979; 22: 343
- Knee injuries in skiing: prospective study from Northern Sweden.Am. J. Sports Med. 1980; 8: 411
- Thumb injuries in downhill skiing.Int. J. Sports Med. 1982; 3: 50
- Ski injuries in Sweden: a one year survey.Orthop. Clin. North Am. 1976; 7: 3
- Ski injuries 1972–1973.JAMA. 1974; 230: 1423
- Knee injuries in skiing: multifaceted approach.Am. J. Sports Med. 1979; 7: 321
- Trends in skiing injuries.Am. J. Sports Med. 1980; 8: 106
- Edward Arnold, London1979 Sports Medicine. 2nd ed.
- Skiverletzungen der oberen Extremität.Monaksschr. Unfallheilk. 1965; 68: 72
- Thoraco abdominal trauma in ski accidents.Injury. 1978; 10: 86
- Gamekeeper's thumb. Result of skiing injuries.NY State J. Med. 1973; 73: 2329
- Skiing injuries in Australia.Med. J. Aust. 1984; 140: 530
- Sports injuries in an Accident and Emergency Department.Arch. Emerg. Med. 1984; 2: 105
- Injury in eleven selected sports.Br. J. Sports Med. 1975; 9: 136
- Etiology of ski injuries: an eight year study of the skier and his equipment.Orthop. Clin. North Am. 1976; 7: 13
Accepted: September 10, 1985
© 1986 Published by Elsevier Inc.