This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
A prospective, randomized trial of 104 consecutive patients with displaced fractures of the femoral neck treated with either a sliding screw plate or four AO cancellous bone screws was performed to study the influence of the fixation device and the fixation procedure on the vascularity of the femoral head. The vitality of the femoral head was determined by 99mTc-MDP scintigraphy performed 2–3 months after the operation. Eighty-seven patients (84 per cent) were available for assessment. The two treatment groups were comparable with regard to age, degree of primary displacement and quality of reduction. There were significantly more (P < 0.01) avascular femoral heads or femoral heads with reduced vascularity in the sliding screw plate group (, 35 per cent) than in the four AO cancellous bone screw group (, 11 per cent).
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Injury
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Heat-induced bone tissue injury. An in vivo investigation of heat tolerance of bone tissue and temperature rise in the drilling of cortical bone.in: Thesis. University of Gothenburg, Sweden1984
- Treatment of displaced fractures of the femoral neck.Acta Orthop. Scand. 1981; 52: 547
- Low angle fixation in fracture of the femoral neck.J. Bone Joint Surg. 1961; 43B: 647
- Malreduction and avascular necrosis in subcapital fractures of the femur.J. Bone Joint Surg. 1971; 53B: 183
- Determination of the vitality of the femoral head with 99mTc-Sn-pyrophosphate scintigraphy.Acta Orthop. Scand. 1980; 51: 109
- Early detection by 99mTc-Sn-pyrophosphate scintigraphy of femoral head necrosis following medial femoral neck fractures.Acta Orthop. Scand. 1980; 51: 119
- A treatment for fracture of the neck of the femur.J. Bone Joint Surg. 1933; 15: 931
- Femoral head vitality after intracapsular hip fracture. 490 cases studied by intravital tetracycline labeling and Tc-MDP radionuclide imaging.Thesis. Acta Orthop. Scand. 1984; 200 (Suppl.)
- Internal fixation of femoral neck fractures. Compression screw compared with nail plate fixation.Acta Orthop. Scand. 1984; 55: 423
- Mechanische Verhältnisse der Osteosynthese mit 3 AO-Spongiosazugschr̊auben nach Schenkelhalsfraktur.Aktuel. Traumatol. 1980; 10: 85
Accepted: November 4, 1985
© 1986 Published by Elsevier Inc.