This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
A series of 71 patients with subcapital fractures of the femur treated by internal fixation with three AO cancellous screws is reviewed. Sixty-five patients survived and were followed up for 26–73 months from injury (mean 47 months). The incidence of non-union was 4.7 per cent. The incidence of avascular necrosis was 33.3 per cent in displaced fractures and 7.7 per cent in undisplaced fractures. Early weight bearing did not affect the incidence of non-union, avascular necrosis or regression of the screw.
We recommend internal fixation of subcapital fractures of the femur by this method.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Injury
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Subcapital fractures of the femur.J. Bone Joint Surg. 1976; 58B: 1
- Treatment of fractures of the femoral neck by replacement with Thompson prosthesis.J. Bone Joint Surg. 1976; 58B: 279
- Impacted fixation over resilient multiple pins.Clin. Orthop. 1980; 153: 102
- Low angle fixation in fractures of the femoral neck.J. Bone Joint Surg. 1961; 46B: 630
- A comparison of the use of internal fixation and prosthetic replacement for fresh fractures of the neck of the femur.Br. J. Surg. 1969; 56: 229
- Should we abandon primary prosthetic replacement of fresh displaced femoral neck fractures?.Clin. Orthop. 1982; 167 (letter): 123
- Results and complications of femoral neck fractures.Clin. Orthop. 1980; 152: 162
- Failure of hemiarthroplasty for fractures of the neck of the femur.Injury. 1984; 15: 224
- Series DHI, No. 14. HMSO, London1981 (Table 10b)
- Hospital In-Patient Enquiry.in: Series M.B.4, No. 20. HMSO, London1982
- Die Behandlung des medialen Schenkelhalsbruches mit Zugshrauben.Arch. Orthop. Traumat. Surg. 1981; 98: 127
- Internal fixation vs hemiarthroplasty for the displaced subcapital fracture of the femur.J. Bone Joint Surg. 1981; 63B: 357
- Acetabular protrusion following endoprosthetic hip surgery—a multifactorial study.Acta Orthop. Scand. 1980; 51: 943
- Mechanical and vascular complications after femoral neck fractures—comparison between two types of osteosynthesis.Acta Orthop. Scand. 1983; 54: 507
- Fractures of the femoral neck in patients between the age of 12 and 49 years.J. Bone Joint Surg. 1984; 66A: 837
- Mechanische Verhaltnisse der Osteosynthese mit 3 AO-pongioschrauben nach Schenkelhalsfraktur.Akt. Traumatol. 1980; 10: 85
Accepted: September 28, 1985
© 1986 Published by Elsevier Inc.