This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Forty-two severely sprained ankles treated by a cast-brace have been reviewed. This method was devised to avoid the disadvantages of immobilization.
Diagnosis was based on the history and clinical signs. Strain films were taken in 31 patients but it is submitted that this investigation may be misleading unless general anaesthesia is used.
The results of the treatment by cast-brace compare favourably with those by other methods and it is considered that patients were able to return to sport in a shorter time.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Injury
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Residual disability following acute ankle sprains.J. Bone Joint Surg. 1955; 37A: 1237
- Treatment for partial tears of the lateral ligament of the ankle: a prospective trial.Br. Med. J. 1981; 282: 606
- Inversion injuries of the ankle: clinical assessment and radiographic review.Br. Med. J. 1981; 282: 607
- Sprained ankles. III. Clinical observations in recent ligament ruptures.Acta Chir. Scand. 1965; 130: 560
- Sprained ankles. V. Treatment and prognosis in recent ligament ruptures.Acta Chir. Scand. 1966; 132: 537
- The stress-tenogram in the diagnosis of rupture of the lateral ligament of the ankle.J. Bone Joint Surg. 1979; 61B: 347
- Treatment of ruptures of the lateral ligament of the ankle.J. Bone Joint Surg. 1965; 47B: 661
- Erkennung und Behandlung des Banderisses am Ausseren Knochel mit teil Verrenkung des Sprungbeines im. Sinne der Supination.Arch. Orthop. Unfallchir. 1941; 41: 287
- Lateral Lesions in Sprained Ankles. Dept. of Orthopaedic Surgery, University Hospital, Lund1976
- Biomechanics of ligament failure.J. Bone Joint Surg. 1974; 56A: 1406
- Ch. Distorsio Pedis.Ugeskr. Laeg. 1958; 120: 561
- The surgical treatment of injuries of the fibular collateral ligaments of the ankle.J. Bone Joint Surg. 1961; 43A: 229
- Pathological changes in articular cartilage secondary to persistent joint deformity.J. Bone Joint Surg. 1965; 47B: 185
- Ruptures of the fibular collateral ligaments of the ankle.J. Bone Joint Surg. 1975; 57A: 101
Accepted: November 8, 1985
© 1986 Published by Elsevier Inc.