This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
We present a preliminary study of the results of treatment of 106 fractures of the trochanteric region of the femur, using a new expanding compression nail, the Kenwright nail. The device obtains a secure hold in the femoral head and compresses the fracture line, to give very firm fixation, enabling patients to bear weight immediately with much more confidence than with conventional methods of fixation. Earlier discharge from hospital has been possible, with the release of valuable beds. In no case has the nail cut out. A similar study of its use in intracapsular fractures will be reported.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Injury
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Prophylactic antibiotics in hip fractures, a double blind prospective study.J. Bone Joint Surg. 1980; 62A: 457
- Trochanteric fractures treated by the sliding screwplate fixation method.J. Trauma. 1964; 4: 737
- Unstable intertrochanteric fractures of the hip.J. Bone Joint Surg. 1967; 49A: 440
- Treatment of intertrochanteric and subtrochanteric fractures of the hip by the Ender technique.J. Bone Joint Surg. 1976; 58A: 1027
- The treatment of trochanteric hip fractures using a compression screw.J. Bone Joint Surg. 1975; 57A: 23
- The treatment of trochanteric fractures of the femur.J. Bone Joint Surg. 1949; 31B: 190
- The management of unstable intertrochanteric fractures.J. Bone Joint Surg. 1973; 55A: 1367
- Hip fractures in the trochanteric region, treatment with a strong nail and early weight bearing.J. Bone Joint Surg. 1963; 45A: 687
- A biochemical and clinical study of compression screw and nail plate fixation in the treatment of intertrochanteric hip fractures.J. Bone Joint Surg. 1976; 58A: 732
- Treatment of intertrochanteric and subtrochanteric fractures of the hip by the Ender technique.J. Bone Joint Surg. 1976; 58A: 604
- Biomechanical analysis of the sliding characteristics of compression hip screws.J. Bone Joint Surg. 1980; 62A: 1308
- Ender nailing of intertrochanteric and subtrochanteric fractures of the femur.J. Bone Joint Surg. 1980; 62A: 635
- Multiple intermedullary nailing of pertrochanteric fractures with elastic nails: operative procedures and results.Injury. 1977; 9: 102
- A self adjusting nail plate for fractures about the hip joint.J. Bone Joint Surg. 1955; 37A: 1085
- A comparison of the treatment of trochanteric fractures of the femur by internal fixation with nail plates and the Ender technique.Injury. 1977; 9: 35
© 1982 Published by Elsevier Inc.