This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
A case of combined thoracic, intra-abdominal and vertebral injury occurring in a patient wearing a seat belt is presented; the possible mechanisms are discussed.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Injury
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- J. Bone Joint Surg.57. 1975: 252 Proceedings: seat belt fractures of the spine.
- Spinal cord injuries and seat belts.Med. J. Aust. 1973; 2: 801
- Non-fatal injuries sustained by seat belt wearers: a comparative study.Br. Med. J. 1976; 2: 1310
- Retroperitoneal duodenal rupture: proposed mechanism, review of literature and report of a case.Am. J. Surg. 1964; 108: 834
- The effect of compulsory seat belt wearing on the mortality and pattern of injury to car occupants.J. Bone Joint Surg. 1975; 57B: 252
- Rupture of the duodenum following blunt trauma: report of a case with avulsion of papilla of Vater.Ann. Surg. 1965; 162: 917
- Injuries of the stomach and duodenum.Surg. Clin. North Am. 1972; 52: 635
- Duodenal perforation from blunt abdominal trauma.J. Trauma. 1974; 14: 290
- The effectiveness of seat belts in reducing injuries to car occupants.Transport and Road Research Laboratory Report. 1978;
- Spines and seat belts: mechanisms of spinal injury in motor vehicle crashes.Med. J. Aust. 1976; 2: 411
- Seat belt injuries: the need for accuracy in reporting of cases.J. Trauma. 1975; 15: 20
- Traumatic duodenal injuries: review of 131 cases.J. Trauma. 1968; 8: 127
- Retroperitoneal rupture of the duodenum due to blunt trauma.Surg. Gynecol. Obstet. 1967; 125: 7281
- Combined visceral and vertebral injuries from lap type seat belts.Surg. Gynecol. Obstet. 1970; 131: 431
- Fatal road accidents: injuries, complications and causes of death in 250 subjects.Br. J. Surg. 1968; 55: 481
- Seat belt syndrome.Br. Med. J. 1973; 4: 786
- Bowel injuries from automobile seat belts.Am. J. Surg. 1972; 123: 312
- The effects of seat belt legislation on road traffic injuries.Aust. NZ. J. Surg. 1977; 47: 150
- The nature of seat belt injuries.J. Trauma. 1971; 11: 207
- Seat belts and intra-abdominal trauma: report of two unusual cases.J. Trauma. 1972; 12: 85
© 1979 Published by Elsevier Inc.